Custom fields enable you to create meta data — additional bits of information that can be used within your posts, pages, or custom post types.
WordPress includes many different ways to store and access data. One of those is meta data, which can unlock a whole new world of functionality in your WordPress site. In just a few steps, you can do some pretty amazing things with meta data.
Covered in this video:
- What is meta data?
- Using custom fields to create new meta data.
- Displaying meta data within your theme file.
“The truth is that you can do pretty much anything you want with meta data. Your imagination is your limit.”—Justin Tadlock
Why we trust WP Engine to host WP101...
Since we moved to WP Engine nearly two years ago, we've served 1.4 million pages to 607,000 visitors. We've also enjoyed...
- 300% faster page loads than our previous host!
- 99.97% uptime! (That's stellar.)
- Automated nightly backups.
- 24/7 security monitoring.
- Automatic WordPress updates.