From the Appearance sub-panel, you can change the entire look and feel of your site by installing and activating new themes, or by changing your existing theme. A theme is actually a bundle of files that determine the overall design of a site, including colors, graphics, layout, and fonts. There are literally thousands of WordPress themes available to choose from, running the entire gamut of both quality and price.
This video also covers how to add a custom background image or custom header graphic to your site design, plus how to use a static page as the homepage for your site, instead of the default list of blog posts!
Covered in this video:
- How to find and install new themes.
- How to build a business site or a blog, or both!
- Changing the theme in WordPress by installing a new theme or customizing your existing theme.
- Updating the look of your site with one click using the Appearance sub-panel.
- Using Live Preview to customize and preview changes before you activate a new theme.
- Using the Theme Customizer to customize your site and preview changes in real-time.
- NEW! Using a static page as the homepage for your site, instead of the default blog layout. (2:05)
- Editing the background and header in the default WordPress Theme, Twenty Twelve.
Why we trust WP Engine to host WP101...
Since we migrated this site to WP Engine over 18 months ago, we've served more than 1.2 million pages to 300,000 happy visitors.
Our page load times are 300% faster than on our previous hosting provider! Plus, we enjoy automated nightly backups, security monitoring, and automatic updates whenever WordPress releases a new version. But the best part? Their support team is stellar! It's like having our own IT department on call 24/7.
Does your web host give you that kind of peace of mind?