Covered in this video:
- What is WordPress?
- Brief history of WordPress.
- Why it’s much more than a blogging tool.
- The power of “Open Source.”
- How WordPress works.
- 5 reasons to choose WordPress.
What is WordPress?
Simply put, WordPress is software you can use to create your own website, blog, or even an application. Since it was first released in 2003, WordPress has matured into a highly flexible “content management system,” or CMS. And today, it powers more than 27% of the entire web—including some of the most popular websites you’ve probably heard of.
WordPress enables you to build and manage your own full-featured website using just your web browser—without having to learn how to code. In fact, if you’ve ever used a text editor like Microsoft Word, you’ll be right at home with the WordPress Editor.
So, how does WordPress work?
To begin using WordPress, first you’ll download the software, install it on a web server, connect it to a database, and then start publishing your content on the web. It may sound complicated, but the entire process takes about 5 minutes. And once installed, it enables you to use a simple, web-based editor to publish content and build your website. There’s even a hosted version at WordPress.com that allows you to create a new WordPress-powered website in just a few seconds.
There are several reasons WordPress is a great choice for building your blog or business website.
- First of all, WordPress is distributed under an Open Source license — which means means you can download and use the WordPress software however you like… for free. But it also means that hundreds of volunteers all around the world are constantly creating and improving the WordPress software.
- Second, WordPress is easy to learn and use — Instead of hiring a web designer every time you want to make a small change to your website, you can easily manage and update your own content… using basic formatting tools you’re probably already familiar with.
- Third, it’s completely customizable — There are thousands of themes and plugins that enable you to easily change the entire look of your website, or even add new features to your website with just a few clicks.
- Next, if you run into problems, or you want to add custom features, it’s easy to find support or hire someone to help you. In addition to the WordPress tutorials on this site, there are also thousands of WordPress developers and designers who can help you. The official WordPress Forum is a great place to get answers to your questions. And every year, there are thousands of local WordPress events happening all over the world where you can meet and talk with other WordPress users.
- Last, you’re in control of your own content. Some other publishing platforms limit what you can and can’t do on your own website. And, you’re locked in to that service; if it should ever shut down, your content could simply disappear. With WordPress, you can import your data from other platforms like Blogger or Tumblr, and you can easily export your data to move away from WordPress, anytime you choose. You’re in control of your content.
Is WordPress right for you?
If you’re looking for an easy tool that will help you to build your own website or blog without having to learn how to code, you’ll love WordPress. And, you’ll find that WordPress is incredibly flexible, with thousands of themes, plugins, and support options to ensure that your site will continue to grow with you in the future.
We trust this has been helpful, and we look forward to seeing what you build with WordPress!